About Hyde Sails

Like many of the successful sail lofts in the world, Hyde Sails grew from racing and in particular racing one-design dinghies. The need to eke out small differences in performance between identical boats imposes values of quality and discipline in the manufacture of sails that are not so important in other branches of sailmaking. But the challenge of making sails of exactly the right shape, with top class materials and faultless craftsmanship permeates through all the sails we make from racing yacht to old gaffer.

Established over 40 years ago as Musto and Hyde , our famous red Flying Dutchman logo reflected Keith Musto's Olympic success in that iconic dinghy. He went on to establish his very successful clothing range while the sailmaking business spread to encompass sailmaking for all types of boat of all types and sizes. Hyde Sails have one of the biggest product ranges of any sailmaker in the world from Optimist dinghies to round the globe cruisers.

We make around 40000 sails per year from our modern ( and crucially, wholly owned ) factory in the far east. Our 235 staff are highly trained , well paid and directed from the UK where our management ,sales and R&D functions are based in two offices, one at Hamble and one at Ipswich.

We have a worldwide and increasing network of agents and distributors , whose details are on this site, enabling you to obtain personal service over much of the Globe.

We make many sails for other sailmakers and for large boat builders such as Laser and RS but our core business is making bespoke sails for individual customers.

Our sails are made out of the best materials obtained at the most competitive prices so that we are able to offer quality sails with extraordinary craftsmanship at prices that are keen but not unrealistically cheap. With sailmaking you tend to get what you pay for but there is no need to pay over the odds to get quality sails - we do not promise the cheapest sails, but we promise the best quality at the best price with the best designs and the best materials.

If those sound like the sort of sails you are looking for, whatever your type of boat, then contact us and we will be delighted to discuss your needs and provide you with a no-obligation quote.

We approached Hyde for new sails for our 32ft Albin Nova "Aura" in 2015 through personal recommendation and it was immediately clear that Wooderz ‘got’ our sort of sailing – about 70% club racing with friends and family mixed with the Cornish Offshore Group (COGS) series shorthanded and family cruising for the remaining 30%. With every sailmaker we approached suggesting something different from the latest moulded sails to cross cut dacron, Wooderz guided us through the confusing array of options by understanding that we enjoyed racing well under local handicapping, but would be just as likely to hand over the helm to the children Eloise and Charlie midway through a race, or follow up a race with a family cruise over the weekend. Rather than up-selling us, Hyde recommended a balance of performance versus longevity with a 110% headsail film/tafetta laminate reserved for racing and double taffeta laminate mainsail. We had considered a more exotic mainsail and retaining out old dacron main for cruising but as Wooderz pointed out “Once you’ve sailed with the new one, you really won’t want to be bothered to swap back.

We immediately noticed a considerable improvement in boat speed in lighter airs and found it much easier to de-power the main when the breeze is up. We were placed first club two club series in 2015 with a race in hand and came first in the Eddystone Race. For 2016 we added a spinnaker nylon Code Zero to boost our light airs reaching and have won three out of five COGS races, lying first overall in the series with one race remaining. We remain delighted with our sail choice, having, we feel, achieved the optimum balance between price, performance and practical durability.

Euan Beattie

Hyde Sails Ltd, Harbour Building Office A, Hamble Point Marina, Hamble, Southampton SO31 4NB

Designed and Powered by Nuwave iBusiness